The Indian society can tough new heights if all of us as a whole, follow the verdicts of secularism and equality, the two most important niches for any country’s growth.
Secularism can be defined as indifference to, or rejection or exclusion of, religion and religious considerations. The basic features of a secular state are, it firstly goes with the fact that a secular state does not has any official religion, which is the most important factor of India’s Secularism. Then it has some more, like, it neither encourages nor ever discourages the practice of any sort or type of religion. In a secular country, all the citizens are always free to propagate, profess and practice any religion of one’s choice. No discrimination based on religion should be there in a secular country.
Need of a Secular State in modern times
- Individuals of a country may have a strong sense of “religious identity”. And in this case, it is natural for individuals to be protective towards their religious beliefs, and be against all the people who are intolerant to their religious beliefs.
- In any civilized society, Religious freedom acts as an important factor for everyone, so that individuals can follow up their religion freely and in their way. The mentality of the atheists is also accepted in a secular state, giving them the right to do what they want to do or what they want to believe.
- Without tolerance and acceptance in the religious sector and matters, this whole world will a place full of hatred and violence. Thus, a secular state guarantees us political stability and helps us to stay away from hatred and violence.
It helps to focus on various other things than a religion like nature, science, and development. All of these purposes and arguments are having much wider aspects in the field of secularism.
Why is equality the need of the hour?
- Women’s entry and participation were restricted in the workforce till modern times. That was due to legal and cultural practices that were combined with the longstanding religious and educational conventions.
- Women had always faced the problem of lacking the required access to the field of higher education. It had also lead to the exclusion of women from well-paid jobs and prevents them from practicing high-status occupations.
- Due to this lacking, the economic dependency of women upon men increased, and consequently, the poor socio-economic status of women has a greater impact on their prosperity.
- However, this all practices resolved by modern times. After that, women are taking part in the field of higher education that led to better-compensated and longer-term careers. It leads to boosting of economic growth of the country.
Issues like; work-life balance, equal pay, harassment, career opportunities, children, and career are also taken care of. Thus in today’s time, women are taking part in the field of higher education that led to better-compensated and longer-term careers. Moreover, various legal actions are introduced and taken into action to maintain the security of women in the workplace and their prosperity. Thus secularism and equality hand in hand can bring changes for the betterment of society.